Skip to main content

Daddy Greatest!




That familiar honk of the car at the familiar time of the evening marks the arrival of daddy and sister or me run to open the door to "Yaaru Beku?" to mock him.
That familiar time of the morning when he leaves for office to sit in the car while mom gets ready, and sister or me goes "Daddy! Change the trousers. NO contrast."

We have grown up being associated with this organization and it is strangely beautiful that most of them are like family friends even though we meet them infrequently.
Those games and celebrations on Independence and Republic day at the office, those picnics, those cultural programs to most of which mom used to sing for invocation- it was all an integral part of our lives.

And Bam. Suddenly time flies and it is time for superannuation. It has still not sunk in that coming Monday, daddy need not / will not / should not go to the office. I mean why? How time flew so soon? Not fair.
I had a call with sister before getting ready to go to daddy's office for one last time - to be a part of his retirement formalities. "I can't believe this is happening!" is what we daughters could conclude.
Mom, Augus and I reached his office and the program began. I least expected that each one in the conference room will talk. I had anticipated one or two speeches with "happy retirement life!" in the chorus. But no! I was surprised that each one of them had something warm to convey to their 'Ravindra Sir' or 'Ravindra Ji'.

I pretty much got an insight into how much daddy has contributed to this organization. Not only that, but he has also made a place in so many people's hearts - irrespective of senior or junior.
It was immensely overwhelming to hear out heartfelt wishes and appreciations.
Praises about his dedication, simplicity, cool attitude, the go-to person for advice and punctuality (as his daughter, I cursed myself for still being infamous for my tardiness in general).
Some of them pointed out his immense contribution to Commercial and Open Access Departments, right from it's inception to its evolution over the years with the advent of technology.
Some will miss him for discussions on cricket.
Some will miss him conducting "Antakshari".
Some of them will miss his witty sense of humor.
Some will miss him for bringing foreign chocolates and goodies after a trip.
Some will miss him as a Guru and a person who has given them on the job training without any qualms.
Some of them had their eyes welled up with tears while they spoke - that's when daddy wiped tears. And I held his arm in reflex and held on to him.
Some will miss their long camaraderie as they took puffs together twice a day for many decades.
Some of them reminisced how he used to get vegetable puffs for the whole team during night shifts in the control room.
Some of them are associated with him in the same department for more than a decade.
Some called him gentleman, some called him a complete man.
The General manager summed it up with "You have won the match!"  - none has received such heartfelt speeches from so many, and he wished he himself got such a farewell in the future.'



Over his 35 years of service to Power Grid Corporation, he has EARNED respect, friendship and affection. To imagine being associated with one organization for three and a half decades - to contribute to it tirelessly while the organization nurtures you with benefits, care and trust, how many of us millennials would do that?! 
So proud to be his daughter and this experience left me all the more motivated to be strong and achieve more.
Daddy is an epitome of principles!
I wish you an awesome second innings daddy!!















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My BFFs

  We could be celebrating (hypothetically) seven years of friendship now! These two girls mean a lot to me. The beauty is that no matter what they do, right or wrong, I dont go all judgmental (even in my mind). And  I feel the same thing when I tell them my sweet secrets and dark secrets. So I dont think twice before sharing my life with them. The best part was the fact that we stayed so close by that we could meet up almost daily. Way back in college, when we used to go to the same tuition, meeting everyday was mandatory anyway. So, we had to meet at one place at around 6 45 in the mornings to go the tuition, to which we would walk. And, the walk! It would hardly take five minutes but it felt like a long fulfilling walk where in those few minutes while we walked to the tuition. All the things that happened  the  previous day would be updated in that little promenade. Laugh like lunatics, comment on each and every person or even animal that pass by us. We even did Maths assignment

Bride Me

          For the longest time I've been wanting to write this post. I have been through such extreme emotions lately that I've become numb to criticisms. Anyway, I want to be less sad right now, among all the things happening around me and in my mind. Where do I start from, Um, okay! I'm a bride-to-be now with less than a fortnight away for the big day. No, I'm not gonna bore you with my wedding preparations ( or how much  tensed I am about how the tailor stitches my attire). No, I'm not gonna talk about the huge epic-sode that happened when I tried to elope and my parents agreed to marry me finally (or the pain of a Hindu Brahmin- Roman Catholic wedding issues). Fret not.                I have been living in one house (named Trupthi - meaning 'satisfaction') for two and a half decades and I'm a deep-rooted person, meaning I love this city and my world in the city - my house, my locality, my food, my people. Since five years I have been spending le

Tail of rejections

Although I'd like to believe that I'm an ambivert (none buy that. They can bet I'm an introvert at the first meeting), I can listen to people and empathize. I'm a person who always thinks "What will the other person think?" and with all the good organizational skills and decent EQ - I thought I'd make a good HR professional. A bubble of a dream. That bursts eventually. That's right - with every call for an interview I get, there is a bubble created in my mind. A momentary dream that takes me to a space where I work in that place and I mull over how it would be, and what I would like or dislike about the job. This happens every single time.  And thus became a tale of rejections....... Ever since I had decided to take up the one-year managerial executive program, PGDM weekend course, people advised me about the unlikeliness of higher pay - one is because it’s not a regular MBA degree, it’s a PG diploma, and two, it’s Human Resources of all th